The benefits of installing a skylight go beyond our environment and to our own personal well-being. According to experts, the increase in natural light that a skylight can provide to your home can have a variety of psychological and physical benefits. Skylights not only improve the appearance and feel of your home; they also improve the health and happiness of those that live there. Natural lighting is also an important tool in moving towards a reduced energy footprint and attaining sustainability in my home.
If you are thinking about installing a skylight in your home, here are a few of the benefits associated with doing so.
- Lower Energy Consumption – By reducing your dependency on artificial lighting, a skylight can help to reduce the use of electricity in your home by as much as 20% and significantly and lower heating bills in the cooler months.
- Vitamin D Consumption – Skylights are capable of significantly improving the amount of natural sunlight in your home and can prevent vitamin D and B1 deficiencies that are linked to diseases such as rickets and beriberi.
- Improved Productivity in the Work Environment – A number of case studies have been conducted which suggest a significant improvement in work productivity when natural what has been introduced. By installing a natural light in your home office or workplace you can inadvertently improve productivity and mood.
- Increased Visual Appeal – Naturally illuminating the space in your home is the best type of lighting system for Interior Design. While can be challenging to increase the amount of natural light in spaces that are not naturally exposed, successfully incorporating natural light into a structure or building can significantly improve the feel of a space.
- Reduced Mildew &Mould Build-up – Many chronic respiratory problems are often associated with a bacterial and fungal build-up in damp areas such as basements and bathrooms. Installing a skylight can naturally reduce the production of harmful organisms. Furthermore, sunlight is considered to be one of the most effective natural disinfectants.
According to Sydney roofing contractors Vertec, there are a number of things that must be taken into consideration before installing a skylight in your home. Some of the most important things to consider include:
Placement of skylight – The placement of your skylight can significantly alter the amount of light or heat which is being brought into your home. It’s important to have a proper consultation with a roofing professional who can give you a good idea on the best place in your home how to install a skylight with consideration to your specific location.
Losing/gaining heat – Skylights that are not properly installed can significantly impact your heating and cooling bills. It’s important to work with an accredited skylight installer to ensure that you are not exposing your home to the elements.
Skylights are a great way to improve the amount of natural light in your home and reduce your energy bill. In large spaces, the cost of installing a skylight can be recovered within a matter of months due to the amount of money saved on your energy bill. It’s important that you consult with a roofing professional who can provide sound advice on whether your home or workspace would be a suitable candidate for a skylight.